The Herb Cottage Gift Shop will close it's doors at the end of June. Come shop now as we liquidate our merchandise.
Proceeds from Gift Shop Sales Benefit the Cathedral’s Gardens & Grounds.
View our great variety of gifts: Gifts Gallery
Our Shop on the B-2 level of the Cathedral parking garage will be open every day 10 am to 5 pm. Parking in the garage is free on Sundays and on the roads of the Cathedral Close on Saturdays and weekdays after 3:30 pm.
A History of The Herb Cottage Gift Shop
In 1904, the cottage was completed and used as a Baptistry for the (not yet completed) Cathedral. The All Hallows Guild began using the building following the founding of The Guild in 1916, as a place to store plants and seedlings - which they sold to raise funds for the Cathedral gardens.
The Herb Cottage has been independent and not-for-profit. The revenue it has raised (through the sale of gifts and souvenirs) has been used for the beautification and preservation of the 54 acres of gardens and grounds which surround the Washington National Cathedral.
While the Herb Cottage sustained no initial damage from the August 23, 2011 earthquake, it was moved from the historic octagonal building when a crane fell on it September 7, 2011 damaging its roof, side and the beautiful landscape in front. At that point, the Shop moved to a retail space on level B-2 of the Cathedral parking garage.