Entertainment and Special Events Occur Both Days - Most are Free of Charge. Small fees for puppet shows, carousel rides and children's rides and games. This, our 75th year will, of course, have an emphasis on the 24 honored countries to date. Many are supplying a dizzying number of entertainers.
Music and Dance
- Musical performances by the Schools located on the grounds of Washington National Cathedral (Beauvoir, National Cathedral School for Girls and St. Albans). These artists include choral performances, hand bells, dancers, an orchestra, jazz bands, string and wind ensembles, a percussion band and barber shop quartet.
Come to Flower Mart and hear for free! A variety of performers, who will entertain from two stages - one on the West Front and another on the south side of the Cathedral.
- An Australian didgeridoo performer, Cameron McCarthy
- Regensburger Domspatzen (German Men and Boys Choir)
- Karpouzi Trio (traditional Greek instruments_
- Mezeskala Folkdance (translates as "gingerbread" Young Hungarian folkdancers
- The First Battalion Scots Guard (centuries old - Scottish Pipes and Drums ensemble)
- Taiko Performers (dynamic full-body Japanese drumming)
- Onion Patch Boys (favorite local bluegrass band)
- Andrei Pidkivka and Solomia Gorokhiv (ukranian flutist and violinist/pianist)
- Tower Climbs— On Saturday, take a strenuous climb for a beautiful city view. Climb the 333 steps to the dizzying heights of the bell-ringing chamber in the great Central Tower of Washington National Cathedral, 300 feet above the ground. Hear a demonstration of the bells and learn about the architecture of the Cathedral. The Tower is open to the public only once or twice a year. Tower Climbs will be featured Saturday, 10 am to 3:30 pm (except noon) every half hour. $10 per person. View these photos by Vasu Jagannathan, to get a sense of the drama and beauty of a Tower Climb, click here>>
- Self-guided Tours of the medieval Bishop’s Garden and the beautiful Olmsted Woods and Amphitheater. No registration needed. Pickup your brochure guide at the Herb Cottage or the All Hallows Guild Booth.
- International Floral Displays -Inside the Cathedral, the beautiful “Flowers Around the World” floral displays make the Nave even more breath-taking. Floral arrangements created by Washington Embassies give you a rare look at countries around the world through flowers. Viewing the displays, both days of the Mart - Free.To see more information or a listing of participants, click here>>
Many more events and performances are in the planning stages now. Please check this website from time to time for more up-to-date information.
- Theme Tent - Celebrating 75 wonderful years of Flower Mart, click here>>
Booths - Booths - Booths
Gift Vendors, Horticultural booths and Rides and Games will encircle the Cathedral reminiscent of medieval days. More than 80 boutique booths will bring a marvelous selection of gifts. Shop On! Many of our vendors return year after year, but new ones are always added. Our Vendor list is basically complete. Click here » to review this year's exciting list of 82 vendors!White Elephant Booth (Our donors open their attics and cupboards providing treasures to delight you). As always - a wide array of collectibles, jewelry, china, crystal, prints, baskets and many other items for the home and Mother's Day - a bargain shoppers paradise.
NCS Used Books, a huge tent with an amazing variety of books (10,000 books!)- most priced between 50 cents and four dollars. We sell: hardback and paperback fiction, architecture, mysteries, children's books for all ages, classics, poetry,plays, Non-fiction books include history, travel, cooking, gardening, sports, self-help, child-rearing, and arts among others. Come browse - You won't be disappointed. the Book Sale is accepting book donations in the Cathedral parking garage during school days. We accept fiction, nonfiction, children's books, cds, dvds and audio books. No text books, videos, magazines. Follow the signs to the drop off location. For more information: email@example.com
Premier Plants - All Hallows Guild's signature booth - flowers, plants and herbs.
Food At the Mart
You will not go home hungry from Flower Mart. There will be everything from traditional festival foods, barbecue, pizza to chocolate covered strawberries, smoothies, Sunshine Catering grilled delicacies, soft ice cream, funnel cakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and, of course, lobster rolls served both days. The ever-popular Moore's Candies from Baltimore will be celebrating its 24th year at Flower Mart.
Also the St. Albans Cafe will be offering a catered Lunch in Sayre House on South Road - both days of the Mart with international favorites from past years.
Entertainment For Children
- All Hallows Guild’s antique carousel>> is set up for Flower Mart each year and is a favorite of young and old. Lovingly restored, each hand-painted animal is a work of art with special significance.
- All Hallows Guild Master Puppeteers present a whimsical show, with charming puppets. The all-volunteer puppeteers have been working together for 40-plus years to delight Flower Mart audiences. Each year the show’s theme reflects the overall theme of Flower Mart. Two morning shows (10 am & 11 am) and three in afternoon (1 pm, 2pm & 3 pm). Children under 12 years of age, $1.; adults $2.
- Children's Games and Rides include a cake walk, a giant slide, games and mechanical rides (such as: Twister, the Tubs of Fun and self-propelled Dixie Jr. Whirly Bird, Dixie Jr. Ferris Wheel). A Moon bounce and two climbing walls will also be available. Rides and Games are ticketed. Run by parent volunteers from Beauvoir—the Cathedral’s Elementary School.
- Terri Bender, Organ Grinder, and friends, Wastel, the little monkey, who will wiggle his ears, tip his hat and his talking parrot will play their magical tunes both days.
More Flower Mart pictures to View & Download in the Flower Mart Photo Gallery >