Entertainment and Special Events Occur Both Days - Most are Free of Charge. Small fees for puppet shows, carousel rides and children's rides and games.
Below is just some of the entertainment that was featured in Flower Mart 2013. As information comes in for 2014, we will update this page.
Music and DanceCome to Flower Mart and hear for free! A variety of performers, who will entertain from two stages - one on the West Front and another on the south side of the Cathedral.
- Musical performances by the Schools located on the grounds of Washington National Cathedral (Beauvoir, National Cathedral School for Girls and St. Albans). These artists include choral performances, hand bells, dancers, an orchestra, jazz bands, string and wind ensembles, a percussion band and barber shop quartet. Also -
- This year's Country's Music, America, will be highlighted in music, dance and a variety of entertainers: Friday - (1pm) Randy Windtalker Motz, Native American Flute Player; 2 PM: STA/NCS Orchestra, Nave. Saturday Morning: STA Percussion Group, South Steps; STA Jazz Ensemble (South Steps); Janet Spahr, Hand Pan Performance, WestFront; City Dance, hip hop & city dance, West Front. Saturday Afternoon: Howard University Gospel Choir, West Front; Washington Revels, Maypole Performance, WestFront; Jefferson Street Strutters, South Steps; Let It Flow Band, Jazz, r&b, Go-Go, WestFront; Boys Night Out, Bluegrass & Folk, South Steps.
- The Washington Revels with an American-style Maypole presentation will feature an appearance of Johnny Appleseed!. The Revels are back! celebrating spring in their unique way with audience participation and the crowning of a May Queen. Join the fun!
- Tower Climbs— On Saturday, take a strenuous climb for a beautiful city view. Climb the 333 steps to the dizzying heights of the bell-ringing chamber in the great Central Tower of Washington National Cathedral, 300 feet above the ground. Hear a demonstration of the bells and learn about the architecture of the Cathedral. The Tower is open to the public only once or twice a year. Tower Climbs will be featured Saturday, 10 am to 3:30 pm (except noon) every half hour. $10 per person. View these photos by Vasu Jagannathan, to get a sense of the drama and beauty of a Tower Climb, click here>>
- Self-guided Tours of the medieval Bishop’s Garden and the beautiful Olmsted Woods and Amphitheater. No registration needed. Pickup your brochure guide at the Herb Cottage.
- International Floral Displays -Inside the Cathedral, the beautiful “Flowers Around the World” floral displays make the Nave even more breath-taking. Floral arrangements created by 13 Washington Embassies give you a rare look at countries around the world through flowers. Viewing the displays, both days of the Mart - Free.To see more information or a listing of participants, click here>>
- Theme Tent - The USA Tent featuring 'America the Beautiful' a breathtakingly beautiful photo exhibit of the US provided by the American Society of Photographers (ASP) - information, video and photos of our glorious national parks and local gardens. There will be guest speakers from the Montgomery County Master Gardeners, (1PM) Joe Luebke Cathedral Director of Horticulture, and the National Park Service. Fun things to do also! More about this year's theme, click here>>
- Author's Nook - Both Days authors will present their books with a led discussion.Friday: Children's literature by Mary Quattlebaum and Dr. Howard Bennett (pediatrician) in the afternoon. Saturday: 12 noon, Fred Hiatt and and 1:30, Katherine Marsh in early afternoon bring their special literature.
Many more events and performances are in the planning stages now. Please check this website from time to time for more up-to-date information.
Booths - Booths - Booths
Food, Gift Vendors, Horticultural booths and Rides and Games will encircle the Cathedral reminiscent of medieval days. More than 70 boutique booths will bring a marvelous selection of gifts. Shop On! Our Vendor list is basically complete. The ever-popular Moore's Candies (chocolate-covered strawberries) is celebrating its 22nd year at Flower Mart and will again be with us along with Bungalow/Scout. Click here » to review this year's exciting list of vendors.Montgomery County Plein Air Artists Will have a tent on the Close, but also have a presence in the nave near the "Flowers Around the World" exhibits. The 130 artists' mission is to record the beauty of the local environment in paintings that capture the glory of nature. Art work will be for sale and benefit the beauty of the grounds surrounding the Cathedral - a win win!
White Elephant Booth (our donors open their attics and cupboards providing treasures to delight you). As always - a wide array of collectibles, jewelry, china, crystal, prints, baskets and other items for the home and Mother's Day - a bargain shopper's paradise.
NCS Used Books, a huge tent with an amazing variety of books - most priced between 50 cents and four dollars. We sell hardback and paperback fiction, mysteries, children's books for all ages, classics, poetry and plays. Non-fiction books include history, travel, cooking, gardening, sports, self-help, child-rearing, and arts among others. Come browse - You won't be disappointed.
Premier Plants - All Hallows Guild's signature booth - flowers, plants and herbs.
Food At the Mart
You will not go home hungry from Flower Mart. There will be everything from traditional festival foods, barbecue, pizza to chocolate covered strawberries, smoothies, Sunshine Catering grilled delicacies, soft ice cream, funnel cakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and, of course, lobster rolls served both days.
Also the St. Albans Cafe will be offering a catered Southern Lunch. $15. per person in Sayre House on South Road - both days of the Mart.
Entertainment For Children
- All Hallows Guild’s antique carousel is set up for Flower Mart each year and is a favorite of young and old. Lovingly restored, each hand-painted animal is a work of art with special significance.
- All Hallows Guild Master Puppeteers present a whimsical show, with charming puppets. This year 'Spirit of America' featuring 'Home on the Range', 'Working on the Railroad' and 'Oh, Suzanna' which come alive during these performances. The all-volunteer puppeteers have been working together for 40-plus years to delight Flower Mart audiences. Each year the show’s theme reflects the overall theme of Flower Mart. Two morning shows (10 am & 11 am) and three in afternoon (1 pm, 2pm & 3 pm). Children under 12 years of age, $1.; adults $2.
- Children's Games and Rides include a cake walk, a giant slide, games and mechanical rides (such as: Twister, the Tubs of Fun and self-propelled Dixie Jr. Whirly Bird, Dixie Jr. Ferris Wheel). A Moon bounce and two climbing walls will also be available. Rides and Games are ticketed. Run by parent volunteers from Beauvoir—the Cathedral’s Elementary School.
- Terri Bender, Organ Grinder, and friends, Wastel, the little monkey, who will wiggle his ears, tip his hat and his talking parrot will play their magical tunes both days.
More Flower Mart pictures to View & Download in the Flower Mart Photo Gallery >
The Revels' American Style May Day will include an appearance by Johnny Appleseed, the crowning of the May Queen, children's singing games and audience participation even in the May Dance!
Join the Revels for Fun and Music One of the Stars of This Year's Puppet