Herb Cottage History
In 1904, the former Herb Cottage building was completed for use as the Baptistry for the future Cathedral. It is one of the oldest buildings on the Close. It fell into disrepair some years after the cornerstone for the Cathedral was laid in 1907.
AHG began using the building in 1916, but only as a place to store the plants and seedlings that the Guild sold to raise funds for the gardens. World War I curtailed some activity, but in 1934 the Guild was asked to become custodian of the Cottage. The Guild used the building to sell herbs from the herb garden adjacent to the building – thereby the christening it “The Herb Cottage”.
In 1956, and again, in 1978, the interior of the building was renovated. In the 1960's the bronze sculpture of "Baby Pan" was placed at Cottage entryway - a gift from the Faulkner family. In 1997, Horsey and Thorpe Architects restored the building, leaded-glass windows were fully revealed and skylight roof repaired, made possible by a generous bequest from Phyllis Nitze, former AHG member.
In 1999, restoration of the front entrance took place – a gift from Board member McCall Revercomb in memory of her husband, Judge George Revercomb. In September of 2011, a crane working to repair earthquake damage to the Cathedral, fell on the Herb Cottage severely damaging the building and forcing the Herb Cottage sales to be temporarily re-located on the B-2 level of the parking garage. After several years in that location, the Guild made the difficult decision to cease operations of The Herb Cottage, as it was not financially feasible to continue operations in the garage location. The Baptistry building was later renovated and is now used as a café.
Herb Cottage Gift Sales
After the closing of the Herb Cottage Gift Shop, because of popular demand, the Guild decided to bring some of our favorite Herb Cottage Gifts to a few select area shows - including Flower Mart in May.
Check our Calendar to find the dates for our next Herb Cottage Gifts pop-up sale. Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help us Keep the
Partner with us to ensure that the 59 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding Washington National Cathedral continue to be a haven of peace and refreshment in the midst of the Nation’s Capital.