The Beginnings - the Bishop's Garden
The Bishop's Garden was completed in 1926. Quite an accomplishment when you look at the beginning - planting of the boxwood. Note, the Cathedral is under construction - the Bishop's Garden was planted on the construction site. To see what the Garden looks like today, view now.
Who We Are - The Garden Guild of Washington National Cathedral
Florence Brown Bratenahl, wife of the Dean of the Cathedral, formed All Hallows Guild in 1916 to provide for “the care and beautification of the cathedral close.” The name hallows the land on which the Cathedral was built, the life of Bishop Satterlee, and gifts in memory of loved ones.
Today, All Hallows Guild has over 500 members and a 30-member governing board of directors which meets monthly, September through June. It submits an annual report to the PECF Board of Trustees and is part of the audited financial statement of the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation of the District of Columbia. The Guild is an all-volunteer and non-profit organization. For an overview of All Hallows Guild and its activities, read or download our brochure, click here