Who We Are
The Garden Guild of Washington National Cathedral
All Hallows Guild was founded in 1916 to provide for the care and beautification of the grounds of the National Cathedral. Our mission to maintain the gardens and grounds as a haven of peace in the midst of the Capital City is alive and well today.
The Guild works closely with the horticultural staff to preserve and beautify this historic landscape by providing for the planting and removal of trees, shrubs, perennials, and hardscape on the Close. We work to develop landscape designs while keeping in mind the vision of Bishop Henry Yates Satterlee, Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., and Florence Bratenahl – who sought to create a landscape suitable for a Gothic cathedral. In recent years, fundraising activities, membership dues, and memorial gifts have enabled the Guild to invest more than 6 million dollars to improve and maintain the Cathedral gardens and grounds.
The Cathedral Grounds
The 59 acres surrounding the Washington National Cathedral are a rich landscape tapestry. The grounds, know as the Cathedral Close, consist of cultivated gardens (the Bishop’s Garden), 5 acres of oak and beech forest (the Olmsted Woods), athletic fields, and the landscaped grounds of the institutions and schools.
In recent years, fundraising activities, membership dues, and memorial gifts have enabled the Guild to invest more than 6 million dollars to improve and maintain the Cathedral gardens and grounds.
Our Second Century
In 2016 All Hallows Guild Celebrated Our 100th Year Of Stewardship to The Gardens And Grounds Of Washington National Cathedral. We invite you to become a part of our second century and partner with us as we carry on the work of the All Hallows Guild.
How can you support All Hallows Guild?
- Join or Renew your membership in All Hallows Guild now!
- Be a volunteer – in the woods or garden, with our Tour and Tea program, or help us with Flower Mart.
- Sponsor the horticultural and hardscape opportunities that will continue to preserve and beautify these unique grounds created for the ages. You can also support the restoration and maintenance of our antique carousel to assure it will continue to delight the young and young at heart each year during Flower Mart.
- Make a gift or Memorial Gift to All Hallows Guild.
- Visit the gardens and woods to experience the beauty and serenity that are free to the public
and open year-round.
- Join our Mailing List to receive our monthly email newsletter and stay informed about special tours and Guild events.
Help us Keep the
Partner with us to ensure that the 59 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding Washington National Cathedral continue to be a haven of peace and refreshment in the midst of the Nation’s Capital.