Let Us Entertain You - A Sampling of Flower Mart's Fun
Entertainment and Special Events Occur Both Days - Most are Free of Charge. Small fees for puppet shows, carousel rides and children's rides and games. This year (our 76th) will showcase the mysteries and culture of Asia. Many different countries and regions are supplying a dizzying number of entertainers.
Music and Dance
- Musical performances by the Close Schools (Beauvoir, National Cathedral School for Girls and St. Albans)
- These artists include choral performances, hand bells, dancers, an orchestra, jazz bands, string and wind ensembles, a percussion band and barber shop quartet
- Come to Flower Mart and hear for free! A variety of performers, who will entertain from two stages - one on the West Front and another on the south side of the Cathedral.
- Dancers from Armenia, Sri Lanka (Serendib Dance) and Thailand will delight you
- Chinese "Flower Band" - flutes and stringed instruments have a unique sound
- Gravel Road "Bluesgrass" Band, Saturday
- Washington Revels, Saturday, Maypole Dance and other Rites of Spring
- Tower Climbs ($10 per person)
- On Saturday, take a strenuous climb for a beautiful city view. Climb the 333 steps to the dizzying heights of the bell-ringing chamber in the great Central Tower of Washington National Cathedral, 300 feet above the ground. Hear a demonstration of the bells and learn about the architecture of the Cathedral. The Tower is open to the public only once or twice a year. Tower Climbs will be featured Saturday, 10 am to 3:30 pm (except noon) every half hour. $10 per person. View these photos by Vasu Jagannathan, to get a sense of the drama and beauty of a Tower Climb, click here.
- Grotesque Walks, Self-guided - Walk between the Towers along a pathway between the buttresses locating gargoyles and even find the famous Darth Vader grotesque. $5.00 per person - both days.
- Self-guided Tours of the medieval Bishop’s Garden and the beautiful Olmsted Woods and Amphitheater. No registration needed. Pickup your brochure guide at the Herb Cottage or the All Hallows Guild Booth.
- International Floral Displays
- Inside the Cathedral, the beautiful “Flowers Around the World” floral displays make the Nave even more breath-taking. Floral arrangements created by Washington Embassies give you a rare look at countries around the world through flowers. Viewing the displays, both days of the Mart - Free.
- Theme Tent: Amazing Asia
- Iron Florists Competition, produced by Bloompop: Florists compete for awards, with celebrity judges including Melanie Hastings of Channel 8 TV, Saturday May 2nd, 11:00 - 11:45 am.
- Many more events and performances are in the planning stages now. Please check this website from time to time for more up-to-date information.
Booths - Booths - Booths
- Gift Vendors, Horticultural booths and Rides and Games
- More than 80 boutique booths will encircle the Cathedral reminiscent of medieval days and will bring a marvelous selection of gifts. Shop On! Many of our vendors return year after year, but new ones are always added.
- White Elephant Booth
- Our donors open their attics and cupboards providing treasures to delight you! As always - a wide array of collectibles, jewelry, china, crystal, prints, baskets and many other items for the home and Mother's Day - a bargain shoppers paradise.
- NCS Used Books
- A huge tent with an amazing variety of books (10,000 books!)- most priced between 50 cents and four dollars. We sell: hardback and paperback fiction, architecture, mysteries, children's books for all ages, classics, poetry,plays, Non-fiction books include history, travel, cooking, gardening, sports, self-help, child-rearing, and arts among others. Come browse - You won't be disappointed. the Book Sale is accepting book donations in the Cathedral parking garage during school days. We accept fiction, nonfiction, children's books, cds, dvds and audio books. No text books, videos, magazines. Follow the signs to the drop off location. For more information: email@example.com
- Premier Plants
- Visitors to Flower Mart 2015 will be treated to our largest selection ever of shade, partial shade and sun loving perennials, annuals, herbs and numerous award winning and new plants at the Premier Plant Booth. For the first time, we will offer an engaging collection of miniature conifers for containers, trough gardens, small landscapes and miniature theme gardens. Some of our featured signature offerings include five spectacular varieties of asters, astilbes, coreopsis, geraniums, heuchera and iris; six colorful varieties of echinacea and salvia, and seven vibrantly long- lasting varieties of helleborus, Some of our new perennials include aquilegia canadensis 'Pink Lanterns'; baptisia 'Solar Flare Prairieblues'; coreopsis verticillata 'Mayo Clinic Flower of Hope'; hemerocallis 'Purple de Oro'; heuchera sanguinea 'Coral Petite'; verbena canadensis 'Homestead Red' and veronica 'Whitewater'.' All perennials including an expanded assortment of ornamental grasses, ferns and flowers will be in easy to carry quart containers. Due to overwhelming demand, we will be offering additional flowering annuals. Listening to our perennial customers, we plan to offer even more varieties of basil and other delightful kitchen herbs. At All Hallows Guild Premier Plants Booth, you will find outstanding quality and variety of an amazing array of perennials, annuals, herbs and now confers to please the occasional to the most serious gardeners in the Washington area.
Food At the Mart
You will not go home hungry from Flower Mart. There will be everything from traditional festival foods, barbecue, pizza to chocolate covered strawberries, smoothies, Sunshine Catering grilled delicacies, soft ice cream, funnel cakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and, of course, lobster rolls served both days. The ever-popular Moore's Candies from Baltimore will be celebrating its 24th year at Flower Mart.
Also St. Albans will be offering a catered lunch of Asian specialities.
Entertainment For Children
Antique Carousel is set up for Flower Mart each year and is a favorite of young and old. Lovingly restored, each hand-painted animal is a work of art with special significance.
Master Puppeteers present a whimsical show, with charming puppets. The all-volunteer puppeteers have been working together for 40-plus years to delight Flower Mart audiences. Each year the show’s theme reflects the overall theme of Flower Mart. Two morning shows (10 am & 11 am) and three in afternoon (1 pm, 2pm & 3 pm). Children under 12 years of age, $1.; adults $2.
Children's Games and Rides include a cake walk, a giant slide, games and mechanical rides (such as: Twister, the Tubs of Fun and self-propelled Dixie Jr. Whirly Bird, Dixie Jr. Ferris Wheel). A Moon bounce and two climbing walls will also be available. Rides and Games are ticketed. Run by parent volunteers from Beauvoir—the Cathedral’s Elementary School.
Terry Bender, Organ Grinder, and Wastel, the little monkey, who will wiggle his ears, tip his hat and his talking parrot will play their magical tunes both days. The Organ Grinder is a popular tradition at the Washington National Cathedral Flower Mart in Washington, DC each spring. He is always a "crowd pleaser" particularly with the younger set. Watch this video of Terry and his adorable animal friends draw the children to his spot along South Road with upbeat street organ music."