A Traveling Carousel that dates to the 1890’s
Our century-old wooden carousel, now on the National Register of Historic Places, is a favorite of young and old. Lovingly restored over a 20 year period, each hand-painted animal is a work of art with special significance. Designers and artists of the Nation’s Capital Chapter of the National Society of Decorative Painters plus John Drew, Cathedral’s Master Carpenter, donated their time and talent for the restoration. Other important persons involved with this impressive acquisition were Pillow Lee, who found the merry-go-round and persuaded the All Hallows Guild Board to purchase it and Joyce Hanks, All Hallows Guild Carousel Chairman who made the restoration a reality.
The carousel is operated once a year at Flower Mart – the first Friday and Saturday of May.
We have now entered the next phase of carousel maintenance and restoration. To read more about the work recently completed and what restoration is currently being done on the carousel, click on the link below.
The Carousel Caliola
Before catching a glimpse of the carousel, Flower Mart visitors hear the music of the Wurlitzer caliola calling them to ride. The caliola itself, though newer than the carousel, is a work of art. It plays piano-style music rolls, and has 44 brass pipes to play the notes. Following Flower Mart 2019, the caliola and its case were moved to Baltimore for overhaul.
Support the Preservation of this Historic Carousel
If you would like to make a contribution towards the preservation of our antique carousel, including our “Adopt an Animal” opportunities, click the link below for our online Donation Form.