No. 1 On the Map
Norman Arch Entrance
From South Road, enter the Bishop’s Garden through the Indiana limestone arch. The arch is a memorial replica of the original 12th century Norman artifact that was erected here in 1928. The original arch, made of Caen limestone, was acquired from the collection of George Grey Barnard. It was donated to the garden by Mrs. Jesse H. Metcalf and incorporated into the stone wall in appreciation of the efforts of Mr. Charles Merryman, who was the superintendent of the Cathedral grounds.
By the late 1970s, the arch and gate were in disrepair, and in 1977 work began to construct a replica. The construction of the replacement arch was made possible from funds donated in memory of Canon Charles Leslie Glenn – who was Canon of the Cathedral from 1968 to 1976. A plaque in memory of Canon Glenn is installed in the wall to the right of the arch, and was dedicated in 1978. In 2011, the arch was damaged when a construction crane fell, and major repair work took place.
Samuel Yellin, who has been called the 20th century’s foremost artisan in iron, designed the iron hinges and handles on the wooden doors. His ironwork can be found throughout the National Cathedral and the grounds, as well as in many of the finest buildings in America.
After passing through the Norman Arch entrance, walk along the stone pathway (known as the Norman Walk) bordered by boxwood and hostas to the side entrance to the Norman Court.
Help us keep the Gardens Growing
Partner with us to ensure that the 57 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding Washington National Cathedral continue to be a haven of peace and refreshment in the midst of the Nation’s Capital.