No. 6 On The Map
The Wayside Cross
The Wayside Cross faces the end of the Rose Garden’s lawn – in the location that landscape designer Florence Bratenahl referred to as the “heart of the Garden.” The Celtic cross, also called a round-headed or wheel cross, is inscribed with the sacred monogram of Jesus. The inscription on the outer edge (translated from Latin) reads: Our soul is humbled even unto the dust -Psalms 44:25
The Wayside Cross was acquired from the collection of George Grey Barnard and dates from the early Christian pilgrimages. It was installed in this spot in the Bishop’s Garden in 1928. The cross was later relocated to the Upper Perennial Border, but was restored to its original location during the renovation of the garden in 2013. Behind the cross is a semi-circular bed planted with boxwood and a Seckel Pear tree.
Walk back through the Rose Garden’s lawn to brick path leading to the adjacent Sundial flowerbed.
Help Us Keep The Gardens Growing
Partner with us to ensure that the 57 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding Washington National Cathedral continue to be a haven of peace and refreshment in the midst of the Nation’s Capital.