No. 10 On The Map:
Landmark Memorial Sundial and Altar
The six-foot long rectangular memorial made of Indiana limestone sits adjacent to the Peace Cross – between St. Alban’s Church and St. Albans School. On top is a bronze plate containing a two-foot circular sundial with a cross that marks noon by casting a shadow along the length of the monument.
The bronze plaque, with its aged green patina, is engraved with major Christian holidays.
The dedication of the Landmark Memorial Sundial took place on November 30, 1905. It was a gift of Mrs. Catalina Mason Myers Julian-James who donated the final $50,000 that cleared the Cathedral grounds from debt and thus made it possible for the site to be consecrated. The foundation stone of the Cathedral would be laid two years later in 1907.
Heading to the east from the altar, walk down Pilgrim Road past the Pilgrim Road Bed, the entrance to the amphitheater, and the Robert C. Morton Border to arrive at the Phyllis Nitze Garden.
Help Us Keep The Gardens Growing
Partner with us to ensure that the 57 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding Washington National Cathedral continue to be a haven of peace and refreshment in the midst of the Nation’s Capital.