November 7, 2020

Destruction becomes an opportunity

All Hallows Guild has coordinated with the Cathedral in the repair and renovation of the front garden at Church House. Part of the area of the garden and lawn was excavated and destroyed to install new gas lines. Destruction can always be an opportunity, and our horticulturists have consulted with the Garden Committee to create a new design for the front garden, for which the Guild contributed funds.

Before: Large shrubs crowded the entrance to Church House

The entire front garden, including the area adjacent to the cafe patio, has been replanted. This area, which borders South Road, is seen by visitors entering the Cathedral grounds from Wisconsin Avenue. New sod, shrubs, trees, and perennials were installed.

New natural gas service was connected to Church House – leaving some very unattractive pipes and valves prominent along South Road
Plantings were installed to conceal the gas piping

Church house was originally the residence of the Bishop. It is now the headquarters of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and includes offices for the Bishop and staff.

Fall colors in the newly planted Church House garden

WHO WE ARE

All Hallows Guild was founded in 1916 to provide for the care and beautification of the grounds of Washington National Cathedral. The Guild works closely with the horticultural staff to preserve this historic landscape and raises funds for renovation and renewal of the gardens.

CONTACT US

  • (202) 537-2937
  • (202) 537-2321
  • ahg@allhallowsguild.org
  • 3101 Wisconsin Ave NW
    Washington, DC 20016

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

You’ll see what’s new in the gardens and learn about our upcoming events by subscribing to our monthly email newsletter.

Scroll to Top