No. 5 On The Map
The Rose Garden’s flower beds border a rectangular area of lawn in the center of the Bishop’s Garden. It forms an axis between the Hortulus and the Wayside Cross. The Rose Garden was a part of the 1926 Olmsted design for the Bishop’s Garden.
In 1961 the Rose Garden’s planting beds were redesigned and newer hybrids were introduced. Roses of many colors now bloom from May to November. On the outside perimeter of the Rose Garden, a brick walkway surrounds the flower beds – where benches are placed to allow visitors to sit and enjoy this sunny spot in the garden.
At the end of Rose Garden lawn, directly opposite the Hortulus, stands the Wayside Cross.
Help Us Keep the Gardens Growing
Partner with us to ensure that the 57 acres of gardens and grounds surrounding Washington National Cathedral continue to be a haven of peace and refreshment in the midst of the Nation’s Capital.